Saturday, November 15, 2008

Lake Houston State Park









Yesterday, we decided to take advantage of the last day of warm weather before a cold front is scheduled to hit Houston. We hit Blimpies to get sub sandwiches for picnicking, and headed 30 miles north to Lake Houston State Park. Lake Houston State Park is located near the city of New Caney and is comprised of almost 5000 acres of rivers, creeks, hiking/biking trails, equestrian trails, campgrounds, and a nature center. The land was bought by the state in 1980; they increased the size in 1990 when they bought even more land from the girl scouts. There used to be a huge girl scout camp there. So there are multiple lodges with many bunk beds for large groups to rent out.

Even though it is called Lake Houston, we didn't see a lake, nor do I think a Lake Houston even exists within the park. There is a lake called Lake Isabella but its a 4.5 mile hike to get there. A ranger told us there is even a resident alligator that lives in that lake. We picnicked in front of Peach Creek. The creek looked like a great place for kayaking. The current was strong so you wouldn't have to do a lot of paddling. Then we took a short walk to the nature center. The center was great. It had all kinds of poisonous snakes and turtles on display. It also had a stuffed mountain lion and coyote and some skeletons of other resident animals. The best display was the poop display. It taught you how to recognize animal droppings...I had to take a picture! The people that worked there were so nice. The nature center wasn't even open, but they saw Jason struggling to get there and they opened it up for us. They even gave us a ride back in a golf cart because we wore him out with all the walking.

It was a great day trip! The only downside was that when I went to get the car so we could load up our picnic gear, Jason fell trying to help Marjorie carry some stuff. She couldn't get him up by herself, so he had to stay on the ground until I came back. Between the two of us, we got him up and luckily he didn't hurt himself. Thank god there are two of us here for Jason! Another downside was mosquitoes. We did not bring any repellent and they were there in full force. At the nature center, they had a mosquito gauge and it was set at level 3 (moderate). I would hate to see that place at level 6 (war zone). You would get eaten alive. We are having a contest to see who has the most bites this morning. I think Marjorie is winning with 3. I only have one, but more might show up. Jason hasn't noticed any bites yet...he's keeping his fingers crossed.






6 comments:

Andrew Becerra said...

Yay First Post! I would have posted sooner but my cpu fan needed care or I might have fried it =( /crosses fingers, eyes, toes and imaginary appendages and fillangies (sp check) that Jay doesnt have any bites. I cant wait to give you one of those hugs you obviously love from your little cuz. Ya know what I was remembering last night? Well imagine Grandma's house, me and Tina are little, and our huge cousin is trying to keep us from getting from one end of the grass to your precious rock/chair. I believe we called you the "Bull" and lord knows what we were. How exactly was it our parents let us go get beaten up by you every time we got to see you is beyond me ;P All I remember is I loved it! I think it helped later in life too. Taught me to never care how big my opponent was because even the big guys are just bigger softies to hug ;) I love you man. Keep smiling for that camera too cuz I am downloading every single smile to photoshop you onto magical unicorns later with rainbows and beautiful butterflys. ;P

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!!! So nice to get out and explore I'm sure :)

xoxox,
Maris

Anonymous said...

Hello Team Jensen: I am home from SC-went from 78 degrees yesterday to 39 degrees in Ohio - bummer!! Debby - loved your pictures, port-a-potty one day, poop the next day - can't wait for the next picture! Houston must be an exciting place!! The park sounds like a wonderful place to just relax in. Enjoy your last 2 days of freedom. Love you all.

Becky said...

Keep the pictures coming! I am glad you have been able to get out of the house. I have one for you - Pita sleeping in her kitty tree! I couldn't believe she was in there....it was the second sighting and I managed to get the camera to document it. Jason can't get rid of the kitty tree now! Enjoy your last day of freedom. Try to distract Jason from those Sunday blues. Good luck tomorrow. We are all praying for encouraging results.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing with us the great day you 3 had! Also thanks for not showing us all of the poo pictures, somethings you can just keep for the 3 of you to share the memories!!! We hope Jason has an easier treatment this time! All of our Love The Woods!!!

pescadito said...

Glad to see you out and about. I enjoy all the pics. Keep them coming.