Monday, November 17, 2008

The Bell Rings on Round Three

Our internet is down so the Team Jensen is posting tonight. Debby and Marjorie wrote the post, Marjorie dictated it to Terry who finally is posting it.


We saw Dr. Kim today. Jason’s test results came back with mixed responses. Regarding his blood work, the LDH (lactate dehydrogenase) improved tremendously. LDH is a blood marker representative for tumor load and stress on the body. It went from 8,005 on October 1, to 972 last Thursday. The normal level is 313 to 618. He’s close.

All the other blood work has also improved except for ALP (alkaline Phosphatase), which is a measure of liver disease. It was 530 and it is now at 1,204.

His MRI shows no cancer in the brain, which is excellent! It did show a slight increase in the tumor in his eye which was expected because Jason lost more of his vision since the last MRI. But we’re still hoping the next one will show a decrease in tumor size.

The CT scan came out with mixed results also. In the lungs the largest tumor shrunk but three smaller tumors increased slightly.

In the liver the largest tumor shrunk but there is still quite a bit of tumor load – a lot of small ones. We are hoping the smaller ones will follow suit. The spleen has been problematic. It has been a difficult organ and we are not happy with it. That tumor grew.

The kidneys and pancreas were clear and suspicious nodules (random subcutaneous bumps) on the CT scan are stable, and no new tumors have been found.

Also noted in the CT scan – he still has a blood clot in his pelvis, and they also found one in his left thigh, which we suspected, because he has had a lot of pain in his left leg.

The CT scan also noted increased ascites – increased fluid in the stomach, which is from the liver.

The plan is for Jason to have two more rounds of treatment then re-evaluate his progress. He has been admitted tonight for round three to the bio-chemo therapy. This is NOT what he was looking forward to, but we have high hopes for improving results.

Shawn, send Kristy back, and Carol, send cheese, because Jason has lost seventeen pounds. Jason said he is almost back to his high school weight.

7 comments:

Andrew Becerra said...

Well alot of that sounded like good news! So that made me happy =) I remember when we went to...Bebe's Kids with Jim and me and you at the "Nickelodian" back when it was new. Lord knows how I won those tickets or how I convinced you to go with me and bring Jim. Have you guys been watchin Football at all? I know the Chargers aren't at their best this year =( So are you guys bummed out that you dont have a super cool Transformer-Microwave at the place there? ;) Oh! If you still have your place in San Diego, before you leave again to go back to Texas next time, Open up that big window of yours and put on some...inappropreate movie then take off. (This is why your little cousin should never own a picture window near a busy street) I love you man. (Like a Hawk!)

Becky said...

Team Jensen - thanks so much for posting tonight. As you know, we have all been anxiously waiting for results on this end as well. You are wonderful! We share your high hopes for further improvements....And, Jason now has a Stradley Xmas visit to look forward to. I will be sure to bring all my Bing Crosby Xmas C.D.'s with me :-)

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys too! Shawn already is planning on me comming back out after the first of the year. I am mailing out a package hopefully tomorow so be on the look out. I am also going to start a recipe of the week for you, so it is almost like I am there, LOL. I will help you get a lot of use out of the crockpot! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Team Jensen - Hold on to the good results - LIVE STRONG! Just think ahead - turkey coming down the chimney next week ?? - maybe I am a little mixed up - senior moment I guess - right Terry! Cheese is on the way! Good luck to you all & Love You! Kristy V - please share your recipe with all of us if you can. You are a great picker-upper to Jason & Debby.

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Jason, sooo glad you have some positive results! Just keep focusing on those, they and all of your family and friends will pull you thru this!!! We really miss you guys and wished that we could come for a visit also! Please give each other a hug from all of us!!! Much Love The Wood's

Unknown said...

Hi guys, it has been a long while since I posted but I am keeping up to date on what is going on. My godmother and favorite aunt Genny has mamary and intestinal cancer. We share the pain and the hope, the long days and tense waits. But like you we never loose hope, never give up. I pray every day for you and for her. With love. Tito.

pescadito said...

You guys stay strong. You are in our thoughts and prayers everyday.