As Terry mentioned yesterday, we escaped the hospital...barely. Jason was nauseated first thing in the morning when the nurse was in the room. She told the doctor that she didn't think Jason was ready to leave. Luckily, we had everyone already convinced that we were going to be leaving Sunday. When the nurse practitioner came in, Jason was seated in a chair with a smile on his face watching television. He had his game face on and it worked...we got our freedom! We also managed to aquire an increased and more effective dose of pain killers and new nausea medicine to try out during his recovery period to make it as enjoyable as possible.
Today was Tofurkey preparation day. Marjorie came home with an SUV full of groceries. Boy I hope Jason will have his appetite ready for Thursday! Jason spent most of the day asleep, but this is a good thing. We have both been sleep deprived for a week, so it is definitely nice to catch up on some ZZZZs. We also gave him a dose of Lasik to try to get some more of the water weight off. I'm not sure how effective it was. It works a lot better when given through IV at the hospital. They must be using a much larger dose. So for now we are letting Jason rest and trying to feed him mini meals all day long so as not to upset his stomach. Later this week, we will really focus on trying to help him get his strength back. He says he is feeling very weak and it is a battle for him to make it up the stairs each night.
Jason has a lot of distension (looks like beer belly but isn't) from the cancer in his liver. The full belly doesn't allow him to eat much at any one time. The doctor kept talking about tapping it off. He kept bringing it up everyday...he wants to tap Jason like a keg of beer. I guess this involves using ultrasound and a large needle to pull water from the ascites. This doesn't sound fun. The problem is, he will just fill right back up with water when he gets IV fluids during the next round of chemo. We might consider doing this procedure after he has finished his final dose of biochemotherapy because the results might last longer.
One interesting thing that happened yesterday when we were leaving the hospital is we ran into the nephrologist that treated Jason when he had kidney failure due to the high dose Interleukin treatment. He told us that because of Jason, they started a program at MD Anderson to study Interleukin and its affects on the kidneys. Hopefully someday they will be able to better protect patient's kidneys when giving this kind of therapy. It was cool that this was started because of their experience with Jason.
Well, that's all I have to write for tonight. We go into the hospital tomorrow for blood work and the rest of the day we will play by ear depending on how Jason is feeling. Marjorie and I might make a quick trip to Target to pick up some last minute Thanksgiving items. We miss everyone. And we are glad to be back at the townhouse!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Team Jenson - you are a great team-helping Jason fake it to go home. So glad Jason got home early. Nothing like sleeping in your own bed without turkey helpers coming in all night long! Marge is cooking? Be very afraid!! She and I cooked 2 yrs ago and when Terry came downstairs, Marge & I were sitting there with our feet propped up doing nothing - we scared him! But we did a good job in the end! Jason, sure hope you can enjoy the meal, even it is in small meals all day long. Terry will make the family complete. Enjoy your weekend together! Love to all.
We are glad that Team Jensen will
be all together again for Tofurky Day. We hope Jason will be feeling better by then. Looking forward to our visit next week. I've been busy scoping out kennels for Spot. We will be up at Grandpa's for Thanksgiving and stay through Saturday. We'll see if Becky and I can cook up to his expectations.
Love from Kathy & Joe
Thanks for the update, Deb! I hope that nausea medicine really starts to work before Thursday so that Jason can enjoy all the good food. I am glad Terry will be able to join you. I will have to see if there is some canned turkey in the big Costco box of cat food I got for Pita. I finally exhausted your supply that was hidden behind the plastic bags...
You guys should tell them to name the study after him too!! That way Jason will be famous!
Post a Comment