Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sleepless in Houston

Well, yesterday turned out to be a little more eventful than we hoped for. Jason was pretty nauseous during the day. So we spent much of the day just trying to get him to eat and drink and keep his medicine down. So much for fancy and expensive anti-emetics, Jason was just as nauseated as usual even after all the new medications he was prescribed. We went to the hospital for blood work and came home planning on a nice relaxing night. As soon as we sat down to watch Heroes, I got a phone call from a nurse at the melanoma clinic and she said that Jason needed an emergency infusion of Magnesium because his levels were dangerously low. We went back to the hospital at 8 pm and the infusion took 4 hours. Jason and I didn't get home until 1:30 am. Then, I tried to get him to eat again because he had hardly eaten all day. After a small meal, we finally were able to get to sleep...at around 2:30 in the morning.

Today we luckily were able to sleep in until noon. We didn't even make it downstairs until 2:30 this afternoon...it takes a while to get Jason showered, iron both our clothes, and then get showered and dressed myself. So we were eating breakfast at 3. Our schedule got pretty screwed up. Jason still isn't eating really well. If anyone has ideas for foods to eat when feeling nauseated, I would love to hear them. I guess chemo changes your taste buds too, so some things that Jason used to like don't appeal to him anymore. He lost 17 pounds since his last treatment, so I am trying really hard so he will not lose any more weight. So if anyone you know went through chemo, please ask them what tasted good to them.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! Terry is flying in tonight and we are all very excited to see him. We have all kinds of delicious foods we are going to make, so hopefully some of them will taste good to Jason. I can't wait to bite into our delicious tofurkey!

Happy Thanksgiving...we will miss not being with you!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Team Jason: Lorren's best idea for food to eat with an upset stomach is Mac & Cheese, he also goes through a lot of mushroom soup.
I want to tell you about an answered prayer that happened to a friend of mine from church. Her mother, Joan, had breast cancer, surgery, and chemo. A short time ago a tumor was discovered in her liver. When she went back for her most recent test, it was GONE!
Remember Romans 8:28.
Love, Cora & Lorren

Becky said...

Hi there! Grandma used to really like Coke syrup (or you could try flat Coke). I know that is what always tasted good to her when she was nauseous. Enjoy all the good food tomorrow! We will see how my cooking comes out...I will give you a call tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Hope everythings going good for you guys over the holiday. We miss you guys, hopefully we can make it out there soon. Get better jay!

Anonymous said...

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Brian and I are here in Dover with the two kids while Carol visits with Mindi in Columbus.
Love, Amy

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I've always been told to drink things with carbonation when nauseous. Water and juice will make the nausea worse. If things with Jason's nausea/eating don't get better, an idea would be to see an oncology dietician. You'd probably only need one appointment.
I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Candace

Andrew Becerra said...

I love you guys very much! I hope you Thanksgiving tasted great! =) I cant wait to hear how great that ToFurkey was =) I really hope you guys got plenty of sleep before the festivities! Tell us all about all the food you you guys ate for ToFurkey Day ;) Oh and since I have no idea what it looks like can you send a picture of a Tofurkey? ;)